Hand Drawn Dracula label founder JAMES MEJIA discusses the past and the future plans of HDD with Parisian music blog/magazine HARTZINE. Read the full “Who are you Hand Drawn Dracula ?” interview in both English and French at HARTZINE and stream a curated mixtape by James below…
01. Dusted – (Into The) Atmosphere
02. Shugo Tokumaru performs Holy Fuck’s Lovely Allen
03. Rituals – Life Saver
04. A Place To Bury Strangers – You Are The One
05. Metz – Pigs (Sparklehorse cover)
06. Beliefs – Iron Streams
07. Army Girls – Cold & Alcohol
08. Bishop Morocco – Last Year’s Disco Guitars (A Place To Bury Strangers mix)
09. Little Girls – Nights Out
10. Dopes – All Day Wrong (Sebastien Grainger remix)
11. Wintersleep – Resuscitate
12. Bruce Peninsula – As Long As I Live
BY DIVINE RIGHT (Mutant Message)
JAMES MEJIA (Art Director/Illustrator)
It’s Hand Drawn Dracula’s first JUNO AWARD nomination and James’ second for Recording Package Design of the Year.
Also in the 2011 category are Dependent Music alumni Land of Talk and HDD’s Wintersleep!
Package Design Images: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Hand Drawn Dracula filled a page of the National Post with photos, artwork and interviews. Read all about HDD in the article: ‘ABLE LABELS : Who would start a music imprint now? Only the passionate‘ by Mike Doherty.
“The label’s logo is a child-like sketch of a fanged creature’s head, but Mejia’s artwork, printed on “130-lb, double-thick, antique-stock” paper with hand-crafted packaging, is clinically precise and – crucial for branding purposes – undoubtedly recognizable. Borcherdt aspires to making HDD worthy of “a section in somebody’s CD shelf that’s not alphabetized like anything else: It sits alone because it’s aesthetically pleasing and has a certain feel, like something they’re excited to have.” – National Post